Home Care Assistance Video Button
Phone

To Request Free Information Call: (614) 481-8888

Non-Medical In-Home Care for Columbus Seniors

A Higher Class of Home Care

25 Ways to Improve Memory, Pt. 2

Exercising your memory is as important as exercising your body, so be sure to expose yourself to plenty of mental stimulation and stay constantly active. In part two of our blog, “25 Ways to Improve Memory,” here are the next nine tips:

  • Sleep tight: It seems obvious, but if you are not getting enough sleep at night, your brain won’t be as sharp during the more active hours.
  • Exercise: Exercise increases circulation to the brain, and lymphatic massage helps drain the body of toxins that would otherwise stay, says Gibson.
  • Consult the great philosophers: One of the best memory techniques is Aristotle’s Method of Loci. For example, if you are going to the store, look around your living room and visualize a large jug of milk on your couch or a giant loaf of bread on your TV.
  • Exercise your brain: Get a personal trainer — for your brain. Do it by using mind-building web sites such as FitBrains.com or Lumosity.com.
  • Memorize and utilize: Keep a voice recorder to remind you of important events. Leave post-it note around your home and in your purse and wall calendars to mark appointments.
  • Explore the mind/body connection: Practice Tai Chi — a great way to work the mind-body connection and create muscle memory while engaging the frontal lobe. Tai Chi increases awareness, strengthens joints and promotes flexibility in people of all ages.
  • Treat yourself to dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is full of flavonoids, which are antioxidants that naturally boost memory. Remember, though, this only works in moderation.
  • Memorize the words to your favorite song: By challenging the brain with new information, unused parts of the brain will develop the ability to learn new skills.
  • Learn relaxation techniques: When we decide to focus on and accomplish a goal, we use only 10 percent of our mind. When we use relaxation techniques, we are bringing into play the other 90 percent of our mind — the subconscious mind.

At Home Care Assistance Columbus, we work with our clients to enhance memory in many different ways. And we’re always looking for new ideas to share!